Recipe of the Week: Cheesy Seafood Lasagna January 8, 2017
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons plus ½ cup unsalted butter, divided
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 (8 oz) bottle clam juice
- 12 oz. bay scallops; cut in half, if desired
- 1 lb. small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 (8 oz) package crabmeat, chopped
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2½ cups cup half ‘n half, divided into one 1½ cup portion and one 1 cup portion
- ¼ cup white wine; a semi-dry wine works well (do NOT use a sweet wine)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded, divided into two ¼ cup portions
- 8 Oven-Ready lasagna noodles
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×9 inch casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil and 2 tablespoons butter. Sauté the sliced green onion until tender, then add the minced garlic and sauté another 15 seconds.
- Add the broth and clam juice, stir and bring to a boil.
- Add scallops, shrimp, crab and ¼ teaspoon pepper and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered, for 5 minutes or until shrimp is pink and scallops are firm and opaque all the way through. Stir the mixture gently while scallops are cooking. Drain, reserving the liquid. Pour seafood mixture in a medium bowl and set it aside until ready to use.
- In the same large skillet, melt the remaining ½ cup butter; stir in flour and whisk until smooth. Combine 1½ cups half ‘n half and reserved cooking liquid, then gradually and while whisking, add the liquid to the flour mixture in the skillet. Add salt and the remaining ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook, while stirring, for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove flour mixture from the heat and stir in remaining 1 cup half ‘n half, wine and ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese creating a white sauce.
- Stir ¾ cup of the white sauce into the seafood mixture.
To make a 4-layer lasagna:
- Spread ½ cup of the white sauce in the prepared dish. Cover with uncooked lasagna noodles then spread with ¼ of the seafood mixture and ¼ of the white sauce. Sprinkle with ¼ shredded Italian Cheese Blend, ¼ Mozzarella and the grated Parmesan. Repeat three more times and top with white sauce and the different cheeses.
- Bake at 350F for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Allow the lasagna to set 10-15 minutes before cutting.
- To serve: Garnish with chopped, fresh parsley.